CHIME Grant Program
The Area 3 CHIME Grant Program supplements the existing CHIME Loan Program to foster the use of chimes in music education. The goal of the grant program is to support the establishment and growth of strong ringing programs, in schools within Area 3 of the Handbell Musicans of America, that will either reach a large number of students or target a particularly worthy student population.
Applicants will be assessed on their planned use of chimes that includes:
- Innovation within their music program;
- Connections to music education standards;
- Number of ringers served;
- Community outreach possibilities;
- Long-term plan for using the chimes, and
- Letters of support by school and district administration.
Annual progress reports are required. At the end of the 5-year grant period, chimes are awarded in full if the plan has been successfully implemented. Area 3 reserves the right to permanently award the chimes after a 3-year period if progress on the use plan is exceptional. Previous school-based chime loan recipients are encouraged to apply.
Services for grant recipients are available that include:
- Reproducible music scores,
- A mentor from Area 3,
- Registration fee paid by Area 3 to attend the Area’s Directors Seminar the first year of the grant and
- Membership fee to Handbell Musicians of America (HMA) paid by Area 3 for the first year of the Grant. Subsequent year Directors Seminar attendance and HMA membership fees are the responsibility of the recipient and is encouraged, but not required.
- Additional equipment may include: banquet height tables (30″x 6′ or 8′), some padding for the tables, such as placemats, rug padding, or 2-4″ thick foam table pads.
Click here to download the 2018 Chime Grant Application or the Annual Final Report form. Applications are due May 1, 2018. Questions may be directed via email to the CHIME Grant Coordinator.
Complete, sign, scan as a PDF, and email the completed application by May 1, 2018 or mail to:
4517 Ferry Landing Road
Alexandria, VA 22309.